Sunday, March 21, 2010

Deja Sunday

Today we went barefoot bowling.
I've labored under a little deja vu all day; every movement seems to be the shadow of a predecessor, every line seems to have had a rehearsal.

Odd when I know today is not a day that has happened before, nor will it happen again.
Today a friend celebrated his thirtieth birthday.
His wife's birthday was yesterday. A couple on our lawn bowls team made their recent (Friday) engagement known.

My best friend's having another baby in July and people keep asking me how she's doing  in the same tone people ask "Are you still smoking?"

Tonight I - we, actually - got asked "So, who's least opposed? Who wants them more?" and once again justified our 'putting off' of children for more than the seemingly-standard year.

I'm a little scared of the loop that we find ourselves running. Baby showers, bridal showers, weddings, 30ths, infant birthdays and engagement parties. I'm not sure what to do about it but shrug, and accept that my students will grow up and head to high school, that I too will grapple with the issue of 'glamorous' maternity wear, that we will become the weary parents who say to their childless friends "Wait till you have kids".

I don't like it. I'm not sure what to do about it.
I think I may be having a mid-twenties crisis.

3 comments:

JUST ME said...

I'm 26. I have no intentions of kids - at least right now. I feel no shame. Because I've seen those moms at the daycares and parks and it's not always great.

SE'LAH... said...

I've been having deja vu moments too recently.
the birth of spring can do that I guess.

one love.

Miss Welcome said...

Hi Om,

Have fuuuuuuun without kids. There's plenty of tiiiiiime. I had my first when 34 and I'm so glad I waited, although when my mother was my age, I was already in college and she went on to have a completely second life. I suppose this is my second life since I had lots of adventures in my 20's and early thirties.

Hey I just noticed your suzuki stuff over there. I'll have to check it out and learn more about it, although I've always been more in favor of reading music. I'm a traditionalist.

Thanks for following my blog. :o)